Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How does one become licensed to practice law in the state of Tennessee?

A. The Board of Law Examiners handles issues of the bar exam and reciprocity from other states. You may contact them at:

Board of Law Examiners
511 Union Street, Suite 525
Nashville, TN 37219
Phone: 615-741-3234
Fax: 615-741-5867

Q. Who should I contact about issues dealing with the conduct of a lawyer?

A. The Board of Professional Responsibility handles issues of possible misconduct of lawyers. You may contact them at:

Board of Professional Responsibility
10 Cadillac Drive, Suite 220
Brentwood, TN 37027
615-361-7500 or 800-486-5714

Q. I am looking for a lawyer. How do I find one?

A. You could consult the yellow pages of the phone book or if you live in one of the following cities, you may contact one of the following lawyer referral services:

Nashville: 615-242-6546
Knoxville: 865-522-7501
Chattanooga: 423-266-5950
West Tenn. Legal Services: 800-372-8346 (Memphis area)

Q. Who can answer questions about CLE credits? How do I find out if an out-of-state course would count for Tennessee CLE credit?

A. You can call the Commission on Continuing Legal Education at 615-741-3096.

For approved CLE courses offered by the Tennessee Bar Association, click here.

Q. I cannot afford an attorney, can you help me?

A. You can call the Legal Services of Tennessee. They can be reached at:

Middle Tennessee:
(931) 552-6656 (Clarksville)
(931) 381-5533 (Columbia)
(931) 528-7436 (Cookeville)
(615) 451-1880 (Gallatin)
(615) 890-0905 (Murfreesboro)
615-244-6610 (Nashville)
(865) 483-8454 (Oak Ridge)
(931) 455-7000 (Tullahoma)

West Tennessee:
731-285-8181 (Dyersburg)
731-423-0616 or 800-372-8346 (Jackson)
731-645-7961 (Selmer)
731-986-8975 (Huntingdon)

East Tennessee:
423-637-0484 (Knoxville)
423-479-8577 (Cleveland)
423-756-4013 (Chattanooga)
423-928-8311 (Johnson City)
423-246-8734 (Kingsport)
865-981-1818 (Maryville)

Southest Tennessee:
800-572-7457 (Chattanooga)
800-445-3219 (Cleveland)
Email: wdurand@selegal.orgt

Southwest Tennessee:
901-523-8822 (Memphis)
901-476-1808 (Covington)
888-207-6386 (Fayette and Lauderdale counties)