- Member Services
- Member Search
- TBA Member Benefits
- Cert Search
- Law Practice Management
- Legal Links
- Legislative Updates
- Local Rules of Court
- Opinion Search
- Tennessee Rules of Professional Conduct
- Update Information
- TBA Groups
- Leadership Law Alumni
- Tennessee Legal Organizations
- Young Lawyers Division
- YLD Fellows
- TBALL Class of 2014
- Access to Justice
- The TBA
YLD Affiliate News for September 2013
American Bar Association YLD -- The ABA YLD Fall Conference will be held Oct. 10-12 in Phoenix at the Arizona Biltmore. The group held its annual meeting in August and provides a wrap-up of activities on its website. At that meeting, the division announced its public service project for the year. “Bullyproof: Young Lawyers Educating and Empowering to End Bullying” is a comprehensive initiative that will provide education and resources to empower groups and individuals to help make bullying a thing of the past. Learn more here. For more information about the ABA YLD visit the group online or contact Nashville lawyer Matt Potempa at firstname.lastname@example.org or (615) 810-8438.
Blount County Bar Association YLD -- For more information about the Blount County YLD contact President Donna Ridgel at email@example.com or (865) 309-5291.
Chattanooga Bar Association YLD -- For more information about the Chattanooga YLD contact President Michael Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org or (266) 220-7137.
Jackson Madison County Bar Association YLD -- For more information about the group contact President Josh Dougan at email@example.com.
Knoxville Bar Association Barristers -- The Barristers will hold its next meeting Oct. 9 at 5 p.m. at the Bistro by the Bijou, 807 S. Gay St. It also has several pro bono and public service events planned for the month of October, including:
- A pro bono panel discussion at the University of Tennessee College of Law on Oct. 23. The event will allow young lawyers to talk about their pro bono activities and educate students about opportunities to get involved. The panel also will include several law students who are active in UT Pro Bono who will share plans for this year’s alternative spring break project.
- The Fourth Annual Cornhole Throwdown Oct. 24 at Bearden Beer Market, 4524 Old Kingston Pike. All proceeds will benefit Wesley House, a nonprofit providing educational, emotional and spiritual support for Knoxville’s inner-city children and senior citizens. Two-person teams may register for $15 per person through Oct. 18, after which the rate increases to $20 per player. Register online or visit the event webpage to download a registration form.
- A free legal clinic for veterans on Oct. 26 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Attorneys accredited by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs will be on hand to help veterans and their families understand federal disability compensation and pension benefits. The clinic is a partnership between the Barristers’ Access to Justice Committee, Legal Aid of East Tennessee and the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law. To make an appointment veterans or their family members should call Legal Aid of East Tennessee at (865) 637-0484. For more information about the clinic contact Troy Weston at (865) 544-2010. The event will take place at the John Tarleton Center, 2455 Sutherland Ave., Knoxville 37919.
- A program titled "Horror Stories from My First Year" for students at the University of Tennessee College of Law on Oct. 29. Anyone wishing to share a story for inclusion in the presentation may do so by emailing Meghan Morgan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finally, the group recently reported that its annual charity golf tournament on Sept. 20 raised more than $4,000 for its charitable activities, including Meals on Wheels, Lawyers for Others, Volunteer Breakfast, Firms for Food, Coats for the Cold, Career Closet, Angel Tree, Cell Phone Drive and School Supplies Drive. For more information about the Barristers contact President Katrina Atchley Arbogast at email@example.com or (865) 541-5258.
Maury County Bar Association YLD -- For information about the Maury County YLD contact President Jacob "Jake" Hubbell at firstname.lastname@example.org or (931) 381-4700.
Memphis Bar Association YLD -- The Memphis YLD will host its annual golf tournament this Friday (Oct. 4). The event will begin with a 1 p.m. shotgun start at Glen Eagle Golf Course, the naval golf course just 20 minutes from downtown in Millington. Proceeds from the tournament will benefit the Downtown Porter Boys and Girls Club. View the flyer for more information or register online by clicking here. If you have any questions or are interested in sponsorship opportunities, please contact Jake Dickerson at email@example.com.
On Oct. 10, the group will co-host a fundraiser and silent auction with the Public Action Law Society at the University of Memphis School of Law. That event will take place at Earnestine & Hazel's, 531 S. Main, Memphis 38103. The next day, Oct. 12, the group will host the Saturday Legal Clinic from 10 a.m. to noon at the Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library, 3030 Poplar Ave., Memphis 38111. For information about the MBA YLD contact President Annie Christoff at firstname.lastname@example.org or (901) 543-5939.
Montgomery County Bar Association YLD -- For information about the Montgomery County YLD contact President Jacob Mathis at email@example.com or (931) 645-9900.
Nashville Bar Association YLD -- The NBA YLD Annual Meeting will take place Oct. 17 at Buffalo Billiards, 154 Second Ave. N., Nashville 37201. All YLD members are invited to attend the event, which starts at 5:30 p.m. Among the business to be conducted is the election of officers for the 2013-2014 board. Candidates running for election are as follows:
- President: Erin Palmer Polly
- President Elect: Ryan Levy
- Treasurer: Colleen Bracken
- Secretary: Lauren Paxton Roberts
- Events Director: Jeff Gibson
- Membership Director: Matt Kroplin
- Professional Development: Justin McNaughton
- Public Service Director: Tera Rica Murdock
For more information about the Nashville YLD, contact President Robb Bigelow at firstname.lastname@example.org or (615) 244-6538.
Northeast Tennessee Young Lawyers Association -- The group reports that it will be adopting new bylaws. To participate in this process or to get involved in other association activities contact Rachel Ralston Mancl at email@example.com or President Robert Black at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upper Cumberland Young Lawyers Association -- For more information about the group contact President Tessa Lawson at email@example.com or (931) 372-1972.
Williamson County Bar Association YLD -- For more information about the group contact President Kristen Corn at firstname.lastname@example.org or (615) 550-6603.