| |
Call for second judge punted
The Shelby County Commission voted 10-0 on Monday to rescind the recent approval of a second division of Juvenile Court, but only because the first vote apparently had violated the state's open meetings law. Judge Curtis Person had filed a lawsuit against the commission, which in part charged that some members held secret and illegal meetings before their approval of the new division. Memphis attorney Lucian Pera, who is representing Person, said the commission's action Monday "was a good thing, but it does not end the lawsuit." The Commercial Appeal has the story:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local/article/0,2845,MCA_25340_5158878,00.html |
TODAY'S OPINIONS
There were no opinions released today by Tennessee appellate courts or the Attorney General's office. You can search previously reported opinions in the TBALink database through our OpinionSearch page. If you have forgotten your password or need to obtain a password, you can look it up on TBALink at http://www.tba.org/getpassword.mgi.
00 - TN Supreme Court 00 - TN Worker's Comp Appeals 00 - TN Supreme Court - Rules 00 - TN Court of Appeals 00 - TN Court of Criminal Appeals 00 - TN Attorney General Opinions 00 - Judicial Ethics Opinions 00 - Formal Ethics Opinions - BPR
TBA members can get the full-text versions of these opinions three ways detailed below.
All methods require a TBA username and password. If you have forgotten your password or need to obtain a password,
you can look it up on-line at http://www.tba.org/getpassword.mgi
Here's how you can obtain full-text version. We recommend you download the Opinions to your computer and then
open them from there. Click the URL at end of each Opinion paragraph below. This should give you the option to
download the original document. If not, you may need to right-click on the URL to get the option to save the file
to your computer. Do a key word search in the Search Link area of TBALink. This option will allow you to view
and save a plain-text version of the opinion. Browse the Opinion List area of TBALink.
This option will allow you to download the original version of the opinion.
Howard H. Vogel
Knoxville, Tennessee
Editor-in-Chief, TBALink
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
 |
|
| TODAY'S NEWS |
|
Legal News
TBA Member Services
|
| Legal News |
| Saturday court made mandatory in Davidson |
| Saturday court sessions have been a Nashville staple for more than a decade, but in recent years they have become less frequent, with judges sometimes canceling court at the last minute or simply refusing to give an hour or two of their time every 11th week, the Nashville Scene reports. That’s why a few city leaders concerned about a looming threat of overpopulated jails recently lobbied to again make the Saturday docket a permanent fixture. |
Read about it
|
| Lawmakers to look into TBI release of juvenile records |
| A number of key state legislators on Tuesday said they are prepared to look into the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation’s release of juvenile records – as well as the plethora of statutes that dictate which agencies can require background checks, and just how intrusive those checks can be. |
The City Paper has the story
|
| Bredesen seeks money for immigrant program |
| Gov. Phil Bredesen and eight other governors Tuesday asked President Bush to provide states with $950 million in federal funds to offset the costs of detaining illegal immigrants, The City Paper reports. "This money is critical for our criminal justice facilities -- it's especially important for local communities in our state, which bear the costs of enforcing national immigration laws every day," Bredesen said in a statement. |
The City Paper has more
|
| Reno files challenge to terror law |
| Former Attorney General Janet Reno and seven other former Justice Department officials filed court papers Monday arguing that the Bush administration is setting a dangerous precedent by trying a suspected terrorist outside the court system. |
Tri-Cities.com carried this Associated Press story
|
| Death penalty sought in abduction-slaying |
| A Georgia man among three charged in the abduction-slaying of an Atlanta restaurant owner will be prosecuted in a rare federal death penalty case in Tennessee, the Associated Press reports. Trial is set for Feb. 5 for Rejon Taylor, 22, formerly of Atlanta. He is charged in the Aug. 6, 2003, abduction and killing of Atlanta restaurant owner Guy Luck, who was taken from a parking lot in Atlanta and driven to Tennessee in his own van. |
Read more about the case in the News Sentinel
|
| TBA Member Services |
| First Tennessee is TBA's preferred provider |
| First Tennessee has crafted a package of discounts to meet the specific needs of Tennessee Bar Association members. Find savings on merchant credit services, checking and savings, financial planning and more |
here
|
| |
|