Job Details - Staff Attorney
City of Oak Ridge, Legal Dept
Position Summary: This position represents and advises City leadership, employees, and elected officials in civil matters; responds to legal inquiries; renders legal assistance and opinions; litigates case; drafts policies, procedures, ordinances, contracts, and legal documents.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of general municipal, state and federal laws, rules and regulations affecting city government.
- Knowledge of established precedents and sources of legal references applicable to City activities.
- Knowledge of City ordinances, policies, procedures, and practices.
- Knowledge of principles, practices and methods of legal research and sources of legal research.
- Knowledge of judicial procedure and rules of evidence.
- Skill in analyzing, appraising, and organizing facts, evidence and precedents in determining the various aspects and alternatives to cases.
- Skill in proposing and presenting cases in an effective manner.
- Skill in analyzing complex administrative information and issues, defining problems and evaluating alternatives and recommending methods, procedures and techniques for resolution of issues.
- Ability to research and analyze detailed information and make appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor.
- Ability to perform detailed work accurately and independently in compliance with stringent time limits with minimal direction and supervision.
- Ability to prioritize duties to accomplish a high volume of work product while adapting to constant changes in priority.
- Knowledge of local government organization and its departmental operating requirements.
- Considerable knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Ability to analyze and prepare organizational and functional reports from research data.
- Ability to work the allocated hours of the position.
- Ability to explain relevant information effectively to various audiences.
- Ability to communicate effectively with other members of the staff, supervisor, and the public.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in both written and verbal form.
- Must be proficient in workplace English and spelling.
- Ability to read City policies and procedures; written instructions, general correspondence; SDS sheets, safety manuals, maps, etc.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
- Ability to understand and effectively carry out verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to develop, interpret and implement local policies and procedures; written instructions, general correspondence; Federal, State, and local regulations.
- Ability to define problems and deal with a variety of situations.
- Ability to think quickly, maintain self-control, and adapt to stressful situations.
- Ability to maintain discretion regarding business-related files, reports and conversations, within the provision of open records law and other applicable State and Federal Statutes and Regulations.
- Organizational and time management skills needed to meet deadlines.
- Must have ability to work accurately with attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate and concise records and reports.
- Ability to analyze facts and to exercise sound judgment in arriving at conclusions.
Required Education, Experience, Licensing, and Certifications
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited school of law and at least one (1) year experience in the practice of law.
- Previous experience in municipal law preferred.
- Must possess license to practice law in the state of Tennessee.
How To Apply
Apply online through the City of Oak Ridge website (www.oakridgetn.gov - Employment). Online application required as well as submittal of cover letter, resume, and copy of law license.