Other 2014-2015 Elections Set for Annual Meeting
Kingsport lawyer Rachel Ralston Mancl, an attorney with Hunter Smith & Davis LLP, will lead the TBA Young Lawyers Division (YLD) in 2016-2017. Mancl will take office in June as vice president, and then assume the office of president-elect in 2015 and president in 2016. She was deemed elected after the filing deadline passed with no opposition. Mancl has been active in the YLD for a number of years, serving as District 1 Representative and coordinator of the Wills for Heroes initiative in the eastern division of the state. She also is a member of the TBA'S current Leadership Law class.
Other officers elected without opposition this month were:
- Secretary Troy Weston, Eldridge & Blakney, Knoxville*
- Treasurer Steven W. King, Baker, Donelson, Memphis
- East Tennessee Governor Ian Hennessey, London & Amburn, Knoxville
- Middle Tennessee Governor Marisa Combs, Lewis Thomason, Nashville*
- West Tennessee Governor Ashley Holliday, West Tennessee Legal Services, Jackson
- District 4 Representative Erica Eberle, Crump & Richardson, Cleveland;
- District 6 Representative Jason Hicks, Moore, Rader & Fitzpatrick, Cookeville; and
- District 14 Representative Chasity Sharp Grice, Sharp Legal Group, Memphis
* Races for these offices originally were contested. However, the challengers withdrew, leaving the incumbent to be deemed to be elected.
One contested race, that for District 2 Representative, will be decided at the YLD’s Annual Meeting. The following candidates* qualified to stand for election:
- John Billings, Appalachian Underwriters Inc., Oak Ridge
- Bryce McKenzie, Law Office of Bryan Delius, Sevierville
* Tommy Norton with the Norton Law Office in Gatlinburg had qualified to run but withdrew from the race on May 1.
CANDIDATES SOUGHT FOR APPOINTED POSITIONS
Open seats for five district representatives still need to be filled for the 2014-2015 bar year. Young lawyers interested in being considered for these positions should contact YLD President-elect Stacie Winkler at (901) 545-7089 by May 5. After that date, a nominating committee will be convened to consider all applicants. Those recommended for appointment must then be approved by the voting members of the YLD Board.
District 1 Representative – Serves Carter, Greene, Hamblen, Hancock, Hawkins, Johnson, Sullivan, Unicoi and Washington counties. The vacancy is due to incumbent Rachel Ralston Mancl moving into the vice president position in June. The successful candidate will complete Mancl’s term, serving one year until June 2015. At that time he or she could stand for a full two-year term.
District 3 Representative – Serves Knox County. The vacancy is due to incumbent Ian Hennessey moving into the East Tennessee Governor role in June. The successful candidate will complete Hennessey’s term, serving one year until June 2015. At that time he or she could stand for a full two-year term.
District 8 Representative – Serves Macon, Smith, Sumner, Trousdale and Wilson counties. The position is vacant because no candidate filed for the post prior to the deadline. Length of term: 2 years
District 10 Representative – Serves Cheatham, Dickson, Houston, Humphreys, Montgomery, Robertson and Stewart counties. The position is vacant because no candidate filed for the post prior to the deadline. Length of term: 2 years
District 12 Representative – Serves Benton, Carroll, Crockett, Dyer, Gibson, Henry, Lake, Obion and Weakley counties. The position is vacant because no candidate filed for the post prior to the deadline. Length of term: 2 years