Position Description - Responsibilities and Requirements:
To apply, email resume, writing sample and other relevant work product to TBA Programs Director Liz Todaro
I. Summary: Under general direction, facilitates and coordinates meetings, projects and activities of TBA Young Lawyers Division and Public Education Committee and related initiatives.
II. Essential Job Duties
A. Develops or Facilitates Development of YLD Programs
- Develops and provides support for YLD Programs (events, projects and initiatives, including service projects) for TBA members and the public, including research, project development, marketing and evaluation.
- Assists in planning YLD sponsored continuing education programs; serves as liaison between YLD continuing education committee and TBA CLE staff; as needed, assists in developing CLE programs and coordinating program logistics on-site or through event staff.
- Manages the Tennessee State High School Mock Trial Competition; arranges for hotel, courthouse and special event space; plans related social activities; oversees competition logistics.
- Facilitates development & distribution of YLD publications, including establishing schedules, working with volunteer editors to solicit, draft and edit items. Also responsible for developing content related to member information, YLD program information and YLD related pictures and news items for TBA publications and website.
- Manages the operations, activities, and budget of the YLD Fellows, a non-profit organization of senior lawyers established to support the Young Lawyers Division.
- Assists TBA Membership Director with coordinating swearing-in ceremonies and congratulatory luncheons for new lawyers sworn in to the practice of law (twice a year).
B. Provides Leadership Support for Young Lawyers Division
- Provides substantive and administrative support to YLD President, elected leadership and chairs of the division’s committees.
- Assists President-elect develop annual budget. Monitors financial transactions and periodically reports status of budget vs. actual expenses.
- Facilitates YLD Board & Committee Meetings throughout the year, including location & event logistics; developing and circulating materials and resources and facilitating meetings and consistent follow-up.
- Work with Membership Director to identify and recruit new law student members.
- Serves as resource for TBA information; serves as liaison to other TBA staff.
C. Provides Leadership Support for Public Education Committees and Subcommittees
- Facilitates meetings of the Public Education Committee (and subcommittees as applicable); plans logistics, drafts agendas, sends out notices, records/reports notes, ensures consistent communication and follow-up, etc.
- Supports committee chairs and members in developing materials and presenting programs or develops and presents materials and programs.
D. Contributes to Planning and Coordinating TBA Events, Programs and Projects
- Assists in planning and coordinating the TBA Annual Summer Meeting/Convention, Annual Leadership Conference, open house events and CLE forums and seminars.
- Helps plan special events, including dinners, group activities and hospitality suites.
- Helps coordinate event logistics; may set up materials and refreshments at program location.
- Provides on-site customer service to ensure members’ needs are met.
III. Other Job Duties
- Performs other job duties as assigned, including:
- Conducts historical and statistical research on past programs as well as on the association itself.
- Responds to public calls and inquiries concerning public education issues and YLD-related projects. Solicits and writes content for TBA Today.
- Completes other projects as assigned by TBA’s Executive Director, Assistant Executive Director and Programs Director. Performs other related duties as required.
IV. Critical Competencies
Proficiency in the following competencies is required for distinguished performance in this position:
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment
- Volunteer management experience
- Project management skills
- Meeting and event planning & facilitation skills
- Time management and multitasking skills
- Interpersonal & conflict resolution skills
- Service orientation
- Written & oral communication skills
V. Equipment Operated
Telephone, computer, printer, photocopier, calculator, facsimile machine, and postage meter.
VI. Physical Requirements and Work Environment
The incumbent works in an office environment. Occasional overnight travel is required.
Education and Experience: The required knowledge, skill and abilities to satisfactorily perform job duties are normally acquired through attainment of a bachelor’s degree in public administration, business administration, liberal arts or related discipline and a minimum of two years related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
To apply, email resume, writing sample and other relevant work product to TBA Programs Administrator Liz Todaro