Tentative CLE programming for the 2020 TBA Virtual Annual Convention
Monday, June 15
12 - 1 p.m. CDT Legislative Update Part 1 with Lawyer Legislators
• Sen. John Stevens, Sen. Mike Carter and Rep. Raumesh Akbari discuss the most recent legislative session including effects of the pandemic on the current and future work of the General Assembly.
1 - 2 p.m. CDT Legislative Update Part 2 with Sarah, Berkley and Brad Lampley
• TBA President Sarah Sheppeard, Director of Public Policy and Government Affairs Berkley Schwarz and TBA lobbyist Brad Lampley of Adams & Reese discuss TBA’s 2020 policy agenda including work of the association during the pandemic.
Tuesday, June 16
Better Right Now
12-2:30 p.m. CDT
- Findings from Research Regarding Happiness: Larry Krieger
- Mindfulness for Lawyers: Lindsey O’Connell of TLAP
This workshop enables lawyers to learn about, deepen, and immerse in the practice of mindfulness, while exploring ways of bringing it into their lives, both personally and professionally. Mindfulness for Lawyers helps lawyers reduce stress, improve productivity, and increase resilience through mindfulness, a simple mental practice derived from meditation. Using guided mindfulness exercises and other techniques, lawyers will learn how to control stress and, in turn, improve productivity, creativity and the ability to uphold your ethical responsibilities as an attorney. Lawyers that practice mindfulness can expect reduced burnout, greater efficiency and productivity, and happier, healthier professional life.
- How to Control Stress
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, we are encountering unprecedented and life-altering circumstances far beyond our control, leaving many of us feeling scared, trapped, isolated, and stressed. This workshop will provide an overview of the human stress response system and how to modulate this survival instinct so that we can improve our mental resilience and reduce the harmful consequences of overwhelming stress. Practices for stress reduction will be explored, including the practice of mindfulness. Participants will learn about, deepen, and immerse in the practice of mindfulness, while exploring ways of bringing it into their lives, both personally and professionally. By learning how to control stress, lawyers will be able to improve productivity, creativity, and the ability to uphold ethical responsibilities while unlocking happier, healthier professional lives.
- Panel discussion on continued learning, and personal experiences on the path to well-being with the Attorney Well-Being Committee.
Wednesday, June 17
Bill and Phil Show from Law Tech 2020
12-1:00 p.m. CDT
- Bill and Phil look at the state of technology heading into the decade of the 20’s. So much has been promised with the booming technological revolution. Many promises have been kept; but others have proven to be elusive. The presenters showcase the latest technology trends for law firms that have proven to be revolutionary and practical. They examine the role of the Cloud and mobility in the ongoing transformation of the legal tech space; how the utility of the Cloud has evolved over the past decade; and the latest gadgets and innovations that every legal professional should want.
Thursday, June 18
Elaine Weiss Celebrates Women’s Suffrage and the 19th Amendment
9:30-11:00 a.m. CDT
- The Story: Elaine Weiss takes attendees through Tennessee's exciting and monumental role in the ratification of the 19th amendment
- Interview and Q&A with Elaine Weiss and Bill Haltom
Customize Your Training: Pick 1
• ATJ Pro-Bono Training
• Fastcase: Data Analytics, Fastcase 7 and Docket Alarm
An introduction to data analytics and legal AI in the field of legal research. This program covers the technology, case law, and interpretation of data analytics, algorithmic bias, and legal research AI.
• Fastcase: Introduction to Boolean Searching
A tutorial on Boolean Keyword searching, from the basics of the connectors through complicated multi factor searching. This program will teach you how to streamline and focus your search to teach you to locate what you are looking for intentionally and quickly.
• Fastcase: Legal Research on Fastcase 7, Tellus Edition
An introduction to the basics of legal research on Fastcase 7, a member benefit of the Tennessee Bar Association. This program will take you through running a basic search, reviewing the status of a case, downloading a case, and viewing resources in outline mode.