United States Supreme Court Admissions Ceremony
The Tennessee Bar Association Academy each fall offers an exciting opportunity for Tennessee attorneys to be admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court. In addition to taking part in a private swearing-in ceremony at the Supreme Court, you will be invited to a President's Reception and a special Celebration Dinner.
Headquarters for the event will be a prominent hotel near the White House and Capitol, where a block of rooms will be reserved for the TBA. In addition, you will receive three TBA prepaid credits to use for CLE programming. The 2020 ceremony will be held Dec. 7.
- Welcome reception
- Celebration dinner
- Breakfast at U.S. Supreme Court
- Admissions ceremony with argument at U.S. Supreme Court
- Group photo on steps of U.S. Supreme Court
- Courtroom lecture
- Capitol Hill luncheon
- Private tour of Capitol and Visitors Office Court
To participate in the Admissions Ceremonies at the Supreme Court, your registration form and materials must be received by the TBA in advance in order to meet U.S. Supreme Court filing deadlines. Watch for deadline information. If you have additional questions, contact Therese Byrne, (615) 277-3208.
The Tennessee Bar Association will secure a block of rooms at the special discounted rate.
Registration costs for the 2020 program are still to be determined.
Additional Supreme Court Instructions for Participating in Admissions Ceremonies
In order to take part in the U.S. Supreme Court admission ceremonies, you must register for the program, and also compile the materials listed below and send them to the TBA. Do not contact the U.S. Supreme Court directly. The TBA will handle all processing with the U.S Supreme Court.
All of the materials must be received by the Tennessee Bar Association by the cutoff date in order to meet U.S. Supreme Court admissions deadlines. Follow these steps to ensure that you are registered for the program and that your admissions information is submitted to the TBA in a timely fashion.
- Register and pay below, for your participation in the TBA Academy.
- Download and fill out the U.S. Supreme Court Application for admission to practice and Bar Admission Instructions. NOTE: You will need two sponsors who are currently admitted to the US Supreme Court. TBA can provide the sponsors.
- Obtain Certificate of Good Standing from the Appellate Court Clerk's Office
- To obtain this, use the form you can download from this page or call 615-253-1470.
- Obtaining a Certificate of Good Standing will cost $50
- Ask for a quick turnaround to meet the deadline
Mail these items to the TBA so that they arrive on or before the deadline. If you do not meet this deadline you will not be part of the admissions ceremony.
Tennessee Bar Association
ATTN: TBA Academy
221 Fourth Avenue, North, Suite 400
Nashville, TN 37219-2198
Photos from the 2019 TBA Academy