Plans are almost complete for CLE programming at the 2021 TBA Annual Convention. Watch this space for more detailed information, along with program materials, speaker bios and links to certification and evaluation forms.
Thursday, June 17
• 9 – 9:45 a.m. CDT. Neurodiversity in the Courtroom: Supporting the Differently Wired Brain
- The legal system has a well-earned and longstanding reputation as a slow adopter of change. As Neurodiverse people continue to participate in the courtroom setting, it is incumbent upon the judges and advocates themselves to recognize that great minds don’t always think alike. In order to accommodate different ways that we process information, courts and the lawyers that practice before them must appreciate and understand these differences and prepare cases that play to all strengths.
• 9:45 – 10 a.m. CDT. Break
• 10 – 10:45 a.m. CDT. Vicarious Trauma/Secondary PTSD
• 10:45 – 11 a.m. CDT. Break
• 11 – 11:45 a.m. CDT. Sentencing & Implicit Bias
BETTER RIGHT NOW
• 1:30 – 2:30 p.m. CDT. Implicit/Explicit Biases and How to Address Them
- A panel of therapists and experts discuss common issues regarding implicit/explicit biases and how to address them. Luther Wright will moderate the panel, which will feature Carmen Foster and Dr. Curtis Davis.
• 2:30 – 4 p.m. CDT. Dealing With Real World Experiences
- A panel of diverse lawyers discussing experiences and how past actions has affected them. Moderated by Joycelyn Stevenson, the panel will feature A.C. Wharton, Joe Kwon, Psonya Hackett, Ruby Wharton, Willie Santana and written contributions from Greg Ramos.
• 4 – 5 p.m. CDT. Diversity in Action
A panel of leaders from various local and affinity bars discussing initiatives and actions taken to address diversity. Moderated by Terrence Reed, the panel will feature David Jones, Lisa Cole, Mary Beard, Shayla Purifoy.
(Short breaks will be taken intermittently throughout the session.)
Friday, June 18
9 - 10:15 a.m. CDT. Part 1: Legislative Session Review Join Tennessee lawmakers as well as Legislative Counsel Brad Lampley as they discuss the most recent legislative session including effects of the pandemic on the current and future work of the General Assembly.
• 10:15 – 10:30 a.m. CDT. Break
10:30 - 11:45 a.m. CDT. Part 2: Update on Legislation Join Berkley Schwarz, TBA Director of Public Policy and Government Affairs, and Brad Lampley, Legislative Counsel, as they give an update on legislation affecting lawyers from the most recent session of the TN General Assembly.