The Tennessee Bar Association Young Lawyers Division's Diversity Leadership Institute (DLI) is a six-month leadership and mentoring program for Tennessee law students in their second, third or fourth years of study. Now in its ninth year, the program is designed to:
- Develop skills to succeed as a law student and attorney;
- Empower students to contribute more to the legal community;
- Match students to mentors in a diverse variety of practice areas; and
- Build relationships among students of diverse backgrounds
Class size is limited to a total of 20 students selected from across the state. The goal of the program is to have a diverse class, so selection is based in part on race, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, background, geographical factors and law schools attended. To learn more about how to apply to the program download the Application Instructions.
Applications the 2021 Diversity Leadership Institute Class are due by 5 p.m Central time on November 30, 2020.
2021 Class Information
- Applicants must be enrolled in a Tennessee law school, and must be in their second, third or fourth years of study.
- Applicants must be (or become) TBA law student members prior to Opening Session. Students interested in applying for the program who have not yet joined the TBA may do so online. Join here or learn more about the benefits of law student membership.
Participants must attend three meetings during the six-month program.
**Potential conflict with MPRE test date. If selected for the program and taking the MPRE in March, you agree to register for a testing location in Nashville and take the test Saturday morning after attending the DLI programming on Friday.
Participants must attend 2 CLEs during the 6-month period (one related to diversity). TBA sponsored CLEs are free to TBA law student members.
Participants must meet with their assigned mentor twice during the 6-month period.
- Participants must compete at least one community service activity.
- The deadline for applying is 5 p.m. Central time on Nov. 30.
- Applications should be submitted to YLD Diversity Committee Chair, Billy Leslie, via email or mail as follows:
- The Selection Committee will notify candidates of its decision by mid-December.
Key Program Dates **TBD
The following timeline provides a summary of the program deadlines and other key dates for participating students:
|November 30, 2020||Student applications due by 5 p.m. Central Time|
|Mid-December 2020||Successful applicants notified of acceptance|
|January 2021||Opening Retreat (mandatory)|
|March 20-21, 2021||Second Session (mandatory)|
|June 30, 2021||All CLE and mentor requirements completed|
|June 14-15, 2021||Final session, service project and graduation in Nashville (mandatory)|